Wednesday, November 23, 2016

El Obo

El Obo is the solo project of Colour Revolt frontman Jesse Coppenbarger. Not an unknown band by any means, but certainly underappreciated.

If you have the Colour Revolt EP, then you get it. Countless other bands have tried and failed to replicate their sound and aesthetic. How they never received the success that, say, Manchester Orchestra did, is befuddling to me.

I saw Colour Revolt in Sayreville, New Jersey opening up for Brand New in the Spring of '06, and the warmest reception they got was from the drunk dude behind me yelling to hear Seventy Times Seven.

Their debut EP changed the way I approached playing guitar and singing. If there was one singer/songwriter that I could morph myself into, it would be Jesse Coppenbarger, or Elliott Smith, or a lot of other musicians but Coppenbarger is on the list.

El Obo is sort of a fully flushed-out version of Colour Revolt's quieter side, but with groovier overtones.

No comments:

Post a Comment